Thursday, January 05, 2006

I have finally got around to seeing the fourth Harry Potter film, and I have to admit to being slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the film was lavish in it's effects and production values. Everything looks exactly as it should, and all of the scenes from the book were well handled... even Emma Watson looked as though she may have taken acting lessons! My beef? What appeared on the screen was way too truncated from the book version. Now I know that the film was three hours as it was, but let's face it... Goblet of Fire was the first of the 'Harry Potter and the Doorstop of Doom' novels... it really could have been two films, released maybe a month apart. They really are a licence to print money, with an established fan-base... and the fans would rather see the full story than the Reader's Digest version.

My specific problems: Why did Barty Crouch Snr. die? How would Azkaban NOT be aware that they were short a prisoner? And why get a tent at the World Cup for one match? The book explains all this, but the film just glosses over it. Not really good enough, so far as I am concerned!

Still went away having enjoyed the look of the film, though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree... there was loads and loads washed over. I'm not sure that two movies is the answer -- it feels a little unwieldly, and you might end up having to INCLUDE material to pad them both -- but I think the scriptwriters need to do a better script next time, for sure.

Anonymous said...

Well, seems like the two of you sort of enjoyed it. Me, was bored to death and Angel literally fell asleep (we had free Gold class tickets, seats put you to sleep as well...).

Naahh, you won't be seeing me there for the next one....