Monday, January 30, 2006

LOTR the Third

Young Chris & I have had another Lord of the Rings Game... and stand-by sports fans... I actually won! Yes, don't adjust your set, you read it right! We used the rules for morale for the first time, and they actually worked in my favour!

The game started as a 'reinforcement mission'. Chris ways trying to get his 24 Men of Gondor across the board to reinforce a hypothetical garrison being besieged by my Urak-Hai. I had 15 Uraks with which to stop him. (This works out to 200 points a side... I also took a command / hero guy in Lurtz, mainly because I think the figure looks very cool. Chris decided to take more men, and no heroes.) So, I start the game out-numbered, and think to myself, "Well, here we go again!". But then I start to inflict some casualties by closing to melee range, and cutting of his advantage of bowmen. Then, we both hit 50% casualties in the same turn... Morale test time! I roll a courage roll for Lurtz, as he effects all of his underlings under 6" away... Lurtz says he is having a great time, and could he please have more Gondorians to tear apart with his bare hands? (He passes.) Young Chris has no boss-man. So each figure rolls seperately... and 6 of his remaining 11 decide that enough blood has been shed this day... and run away like girls! At last I outnumber him, and then the REAL slaughter begins!

It is scary exactly how much satisfaction a grown man can get out of beating a teenager at a game of toy soldiers... If I had a soul, I would be ashamed of myself!

No comments: