Sunday, April 23, 2006

Master and Commander

I have just recently rewatched 'Master and Commander'(Which I found in a double DVD pack, with 'Braveheart', at the bargain basement price of $15.95!) and was reminded of what an impressive film it is. Historical accuracy, action, bloodshed, explosions... and not a hint of romance! What a blokes heaven! No wonder Russell Crowe was in the lead. The only way he could be more blokey would be by buying a Rugby League club... Oh, hang on...

I did try reading the Jack Aubrey novels once, but was put off by the authors writing style. (I am spoiled by working at a library... If a book hasn't grabbed me by page 5, back to the shelf it goes!) I have read and enjoyed all of the 'Hornblower' books, and am a long standing fan of all of Bernard Cornwell's Military History stuff, so this came as a bit of a surprise to me. But the film is such a joy, that I may be tempted back, trying to stick past page 5. Time will tell. In the mean time, 'Braveheart' awaits...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, do give the Aubrey books another try. The first, Master and Commander, does take a little longer than normal to get into, getting used to O'Brian's writing style and the Navy vernacular, but if you stay with it you will be amply rewarded, I promise you. The books are wonderful, and as you like Hornblower and Cornwell, I'm sure you will like the Master & Commander series if you stick with it.

Anonymous said...

The books ARE a hard slog. I actually own most of them (happily bought BEFORE the movie was a twinkle in Peter Weir's eye, thanks to a big fan I used to work with), but got Aubrey burnout a few books in. I should go back one day...